Australians are very friendly and easy-going people. In fact, Australians are renowned for their laid-back nature and unique sense of humour. Australia is a multicultural country and this is reflected in our food, lifestyle and cultural practices.
Some of the key values of Australian society include freedom of religion, parliamentary democracy, equality of men and women, and compassion for those in need. Australian society values equal opportunity for individuals, regardless of their race, religion or ethnic background.
Australian's are famous for their slang and abbreviations. If you're unsure what an expression means, just ask, and they'll be happy to teach you how to speak "Aussie."
Some common expressions are:
- Aussie - Australian.
- Arvo - short for afternoon.
- Bloke - a man.
- Bring a plate - bring a dish of food to share
- BYO - stands for 'bring your own' and usually refers to alcoholic drinks.
- BBQ, barbie -Barbeque.
- Chook - chicken.
- Cuppa - a cup of tea or coffee.
- Flat out - very busy.
- How ya goin? 'How are you going?' means how are you?
- Loo or dunny - toilet.
- To be crook - to be sick or ill.
- Togs - swim suit or bathers.