How to apply for a Visa
International students need to fill out and submit an Australian Visa application and be approved to receive a Student Visa to study in Australia for more than 12 weeks. Short stay visas are for students studying in Australia for less than 12 weeks.
A Student Visa in Australia is a temporary visa issued to non-Australian residents and is granted to students who are enrolled in a CRICOS registered, full time course in Australia. International students can be issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study in Australia. You can travel to and from Australia within the visa period.
Further information on Student Visa requirements in Australia is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Conditions of your Student Visa
- Maintain enrolment in a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered course and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.
- Continue to satisfy the requirements of your Student Visa by ensuring the main course of study matches your Student Visa, and that you still have sufficient financial capacity to support your stay in Australia.
- Notify TAFE Queensland within seven days of any change to your contact details, including home address, mobile number and email address.
- Must not work more than 40 hours per fortnight during course semesters.
- Maintain health insurance cover for the entirety of your stay in Australia.
- Maintain adequate schooling arrangements for any school-age dependents who joined you in Australia on a student dependent visa for more than three months.
- If you are under 18, you must maintain adequate arrangement for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your stay in Australia.
Students under 18
There are specific visa conditions for international students under 18. If you have not turned 18, you must maintain adequate arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your stay while studying in Australia.
- To maintain adequate arrangements for welfare you must stay in Australia with:
- Your parent or legal custodian or
- A relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character.
Please note: You cannot change these arrangements without the written approval of TAFE Queensland.
Once you arrive in Australia please visit your campus and introduce yourself to our International Student Support staff. You must meet with International Student Support in the first week of your studies and on regular basis when requested by International Student Support.