Statement of Purpose
Guidelines for writing your Statement of Purpose (SOP)
An important part of your application to TAFE Queensland is a well-written Statement of Purpose (SOP). The statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to TAFE Queensland.
Click here to download a copy of the Statement of Purpose questions.
SOPs provide our Admissions team with an understanding of who you are, your personal circumstances in your home country; your reasons for studying including why you have chosen to apply with TAFE Queensland.
SOPs generally cover three areas:
- your personal, educational and professional background
- your reasons for seeking an international education and interest in our program
- your employment goals on your return to your home country.
Successful SOPs give our admissions team a genuine snapshot of who you are including your personal circumstances in your home country.
Key points to cover include:
- detail your educational achievements in your senior school years and any subsequent studies.
- describe your work history and addresses any and all relevant work related to your chosen career goal.
- describe your family circumstances and if you have dependents (spouse or children) let us know if you intend to bring them with you or will remain until your return.
- if you have family in Australia, what relationship do they have to you and where do they live. Let us know if they will support you financially.
- if you have travelled to Australia before (working or holiday visa) or had a previous visa application rejected you should discuss the circumstances in the first part of your SOP.
Importantly, the SOP allows you to discuss any education or employment ‘gaps’ of more than 12 months.
Why is this important? In many cases, any unexplained gaps could indicate a lack of career progression or focus or at risk of not being considered a genuine student applicant.
In the second part of your SOP, we look for the reasons why you want to study overseas, in Australia, in Queensland at TAFE Queensland. You should be clear about the benefits of the city you have chosen to study in.
The SOP should show your understanding of our program – including specific units of interest.
Key points to cover:
- discuss why you could not do a similar program in your home country
- discuss why you would choose TAFE Queensland over another institute.
- explain how our program complements any previous studies and enhances your career prospects.
The final part of your SOP must cover your employment and salary expectations when you return to your home country and have completed your studies and/or period of work rights.
Successful applications often include a clear explanation of a return on investment. You should clearly state how your studies and time overseas will be funded.
This is your chance to describe the value of gaining international experience, Australian standard education, real world skills and a competitive edge in the global marketplace.