Life in Australia / Renting


Find your dream house

The price of shared accommodation will depend on the area and how many people you live with. In a shared apartment, flat or house each person usually has their own bedroom and shares the bathroom, kitchen and living areas with others. You will need a budget of approximately $250-$370 per week for accommodation, food, utilities, transport and personal goods. The price of these items vary - share accommodation ($70-$230), food ($80-$120), and utilities (electricity, telephone, internet/broadband subscription etc).

Some real estate search websites in Queensland are:

Signing a lease

 When renting a property, you will need to sign a lease. A lease is a binding legal document between a tenant (you) and a landlord that describes the responsibilities of each party. Your responsibilities include paying accommodation expenses on time and cleaning and maintaining the property. You may be held liable if damage occurs to the property so be aware of your rights and obligations before signing a lease.

You can rent or lease a property by yourself or with friends. This can be done privately or through a real estate agent. When renting a property you will need to pay a security deposit or 'bond' (which is usually four weeks rent), as well as rent in advance (usually two to four weeks). The bond is held to repair any damage that is caused to the property while renting. Some or all of this amount may be refunded to you once your lease has ended. If your name is on the lease, you may be held responsible for any damage or unpaid rent, even if you are sharing with others.

For more information on your accommodation options, please contact International Student Support.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is a government body which helps tenants with general advice. If you have any questions regarding rental properties the RTA can help you. They have an interpreting service and factsheets translated into many different languages. If you have problems with your landlord or real estate agent that you can't solve, you can lodge a dispute with the RTA who will then help to resolve the problem through a formal process.

Phone: 1300 366 311

If you require an interpreter, please contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 during business hours. TIS will telephone the RTA for you at no cost.

Tenants Queensland (TQ)

TQ is a state-wide community organisation that provides services for residential tenants in Queensland. TQ aims to improve and protect the rights of all Queensland tenants.

Phone: 1300 744 263 or 07 3832 9403
Email: (tenancy advice is not available via email)

Back to Top