Life in Australia / Australian tax system

Australian tax system

Australian tax system

You need to have a Tax File Number (TFN) to be able to work in Australia. When you start work your employer will ask you to complete a TFN declaration form. If you don't provide a TFN you will be taxed at the highest income tax rate - meaning less money for you each week.

You can apply for a TFN free of charge on the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website. You'll need your passport details to complete the application.

Tax returns 

The Australian financial year runs from 1 July to 30 June. Under Australian law, anyone who has worked in Australia must lodge an annual tax return by 31October of each year. If you're not sure if you need to lodge a tax return, contact the ATO. 

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

Phone:13 28 61 



Superannuation or 'super' refers to compulsory payments your employer makes towards your pension. Under superannuation law your employer must pay a minimum of 9.5% of your earnings into your super. You can also choose to make additional payments to your super fund. In most cases, you can access your super when you leave Australia permanently. Contact the Superannuation information line for more information.

Superannuationinformation line 

Phone:13 10 20

Back to Top